Monday, August 20, 2012

You missed dinner


Marinated and cooked these country style pork ribs in my fermented tomato juice very yummy.  receipt here http://www.food.com/recipe/beer-n-bbq-braised-country-style-pork-ribs-88486.  No beer though.  The spanish pickles were great with it.  Andrew catch up.

  I got some smooth skinned pickling cucumbers, they seemed a bit watery, and I did not think they would ferment well.  So I made the kosher dills off the Morton Salt web site.  Just used dill seed, who has fresh dill heads?   Also very exciting news there is a real veg farmer in Ahwahnee and I got 25 lbs of tomatoes.  She has 8 to 10 foot fences, Paul.

Started tomato jam tonight and I know you are all green with envy.  There is nothing better than tomato jam on a bagel with cream cheese and sausage.  Here is the Kerr receipt from 1946.

5 lb tomatoes
5 cp brown sugar
2 1/2 cp vinegar
3 cp raisins
1 T whole cloves, allspice & stick cinnamon

Cut tomatoes in pieces after peeling. Add supar and viegar, and spices in a cheesecloth.  Boil slow for 2 hours, add raisins, chopped, and boil 1 hour longer.  Remove spices and pour into Kerr Jars and seal.

I think I will skip the raisins, and some of the vinegar for lemon slices and lemon juice.     

No comments: